Planning Applications

You generally need planning permission if you want to:

  • Build something new
  • Make a major change to your building
  • Change the use of your building

In 2012 the coalition government introduced the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), legislation extending to just 65 pages, to replace more than 20 previously issued documents in an effort to simplify the planning system.  Unfortunately, despite the presumption in favour of sustainable development, the planning system doesn’t feel like it is any simpler or easier than it was under the old regime.

On the planning portal the number of options for the type of application extends to 26 options and there are a number of application types for which a separate application form must be requested.  Having established what sort of application is required, there is a national list setting out the minimum information to be submitted:

  • The application form
  • Location Plan
  • Site Plan/Block Plan
  • Ownership Certificate
  • Agricultural Holdings Certificate
  • Design and Access Statement
  • Application fee

In addition to the national requirements most local authorities have an additional list which, depending on the application type, may include:

  • Affordable Housing Statement
  • Biodiversity Survey and Report
  • Flood Risk Assessment
  • Foul and Surface Water Assessment
  • Heritage Statement
  • Land Contamination Assesment
  • Lighting Assessment
  • Noise Impact Assessment
  • Open Space Assesment
  • Sructural Survey
  • Town Centre Use Impact Assessment
  • Transport Assessment and Travel Plans
  • Tree Survey
  • Waste Management Plan

If you want to carry out work to your property or you want to change the use of your property then we can advise you on whether you need planning permission or not, whether a change may be permitted development and if so does it require a prior notification.  We are able to advise on whether a pre-application enquiry may be useful and what information is likely to be required for you to successfully gain the consent that you want.  We are able to prepare an application and work with trusted third parties to get high quality affordable reports on your behalf.  We will submit the application for you and following submission monitor the progress of the application and liaise with the local planning authority so as to maximise the chances of a positive outcome.